Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Another week passes by

This week has been awesome
The winter water temperature is now around sixteen degrees onshore but a delightful eighteen degrees offshore. Only yesterday the highest air temperature for August was recorded and made the after diving ritual of getting out of a wet wetsuit, so much more comfortable.

I know I should be wearing my dry suit, but the water just isn't cold enough yet!

On the surface heading to the dive sites we are spotting Humpback whales, dolphins, Flying fish everywhere and a gigantic Southern Right whale during the week. Visibility has been a hit and miss affair with an algal bloom coming down the coast, probably the runoff from the recent floods up north, with a bonus of more fish than you can poke a stick at.

Several divers were harassed by a large cuttlefish off Bateau the other week, when I arrived on the scene they were trying to kick the poor animal to kingdom come. After a short time, the cuttle came towards me for a pat and a tickle, then continued to follow us for the duration of the dive.

To my dismay, on Wednesday I found a dead cuttlefish floating on the surface near the Shallows south of Norah head. This wasn't the same animal, I hope not anyway- Once the Cuttles have laid their eggs, tended the nest for a short time they eventually die.
Word has it the giant cuttlefish (Sepia aparma) only live for two to three years, so they have to cram a lot into their short lives.

Heading down to the white wet stuff...

Tony is taking a small group down to Perisher Valley this weekend, The water will be a bit harder down there, but he doesn't care.
The boards been waxed and his ski gear is back from the cleaners so its all a go!

I expect, Tony is planning a trip to Japan this year, he wants to ski the big slopes.
He worked out the costs and found it cheaper to stay and ski in Japan than travel to New Zealand. I just find it ludicrous- It is so cheap to ski Overseas than here in Australia.

For a start the lift tickets are cheaper, the runs are longer, the powder snow is drier and the food expenses are also cheaper even staying in the snow regions!

It is now only four short weeks before we jet off to the Philippines for some incredible diving. I can't wait to get Tina into the water at Puerto Gallera, I know she is going to love the diving. Tina is a big fan of small fish and the macro dive just south of the Atlantis resort will be a buzz dive for her.

I am running an Advanced diver class this weekend and the weather is looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment