Thursday, July 16, 2009

Winter time is definitely here

I know winter is the time most folks, tend to snuggle up with the doona, light the open fires or turn up the air conditioner, but this is also the best time to dive the east coast of Australia.

The air temperature is around 13 to 15 degrees whilst underwater, the temp is 18 degrees. Alright, I know there are places a little cooler out wider- I was out on Wednesday morning on Pro-Dive 1, when I looked at my gauges, the water temperature was reading 16 Degrees.

I thought, this is a little bit cool but, the vis was awesome.

After the first dive, we decided to come in closer to escape the cold westerly wind blowing. Just as we entered the water, I estimated the visibility to be around thirty metres in the cave at Terrigal.
In the haven, we still had around fifteen metres vis. I think partly because, all the sand that has been shifted away, has exposed the mud and when the weeds scrape over the soft clay bottom, it stirs up the bottom creating a fantastically eerie effect, with the final metre in pitch blackness.

As I swam along in the gloom, a large Wobby shot out when I approached a little too close for his liking- I can tell you, I got more of a shock, than he did!

So Yep, winter water is here.

Get out for a dive, enjoy the winter water before its too late. Hurry before the fishlife it attracts, goes away for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment